Organic September is an iniative led by the Soil Association to raise awareness of organic farming and produce.
So what exactly does organic mean?
- Food produced without the use of man made fertilisers, pesticides, growth regulators and livestock feed additives.
- No drugs, antibiotics of hormones to be given to animals for human consumption.
- No GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms)
- Animals must be kept in a more natural way
Why buy organic food?
- It is better for the environment
- The animals have a better quality of life
- It tastes better more like the food from decades ago before we started messing around with chemicals etc.
- Farmers pay closer attention to nature and this enhances wildlife and biodiversity.
- There are no antibiotics in food and higher nutrient content.
* * *
Although it is more expensive to buy organic food in the supermarkets you can buy it at good prices from farm shops and farmers markets.
All organic produce must pass the Soil Association's testing and be certified.
Why not try adding just a few organic products to your weekly shop and see if you are impressed by the difference.